The auto repair business is fraught with toxic chemicals and opportunities to pollute. That's why it's so inspiring when a service business like this takes on the task of building a LEED-certified facility and creates a healthy working environment for its employees..AND practices environmentalism on a daily basis.
Even the landscaping has been tackled with a sense of responsibility for the use of resources and long-term beauty and sustainability. Worldwide Automotive Service's new facility includes the following green features:
- Water-conserving on-demand hot water heater, dual-flush toilets, touchless faucets, and rain garden
- Solar PV awnings
- Energy-saving lighting plan, including healthful daylighting, window views in all work areas, low mercury fluorescent bulbs, and T5 high efficiency lighting
- Building envelope using "Cool Roof" roofing technology and recycled and recyclable structural steel, and EcoBatt recycled glass insulation in offices, and polished concrete floor
- Energy plan featuring radiant heat in slab, floor heating system, and geothermal heating and cooling
- Low VOC wall paint
- Xlerator hand dryers
The building is impressive, but even before they built their new facility, Don and Melinda Seader were dedicated to green practices, and they follow them even more easily from their new facility. The business does the following on a regular basis:
- purchases recycled content office and shop supply products.
- uses proper disposal channels for all hazardous waste materials, electronics, fluorescent bulbs, tires, etc.
- purchases shop supplies in bulk, using refillable product dispensers vs single use containers.
- uses an aqueous (hot water only) parts cleaning system vs chemical solvents.
This kind of green business leadership is to be congratulated and emulated.